Adult Protective Services (APS) addresses the safety and well-being of older adults, age 60 and over. We investigate reports of suspected abuse, neglect and exploitation and coordinate services to protect those who have been identified as being victimized.
Warning Signs of Elder Abuse
- Bruises, black eyes, welts, lacerations, rope marks, fractures
- Untreated injuries in various stages of healing
- An elder's report of being hit, slapped, kicked, raped or mistreated
- An elder's sudden change in behavior, including being emotionally upset, agitated or extremely withdrawn
- A caregiver's refusal to allow visitors to see an elder alone
- Torn, stained or bloody underclothing
- Dehydration, malnutrition, untreated bed sores or poor hygiene
- Hazardous or unsafe living conditions (such as improper wiring, no heat, no running water, extreme clutter, hoarding, trash, animals)
- Bills unpaid despite adequate resources
- Improper or inadequate clothing, lack of necessary medical aids, such as eyeglasses, hearing aids, dentures, walker, wheelchair, etc.
- The desertion of an elder at a public location such as a mall or senior citizen center
Signs of Exploitation
- Sudden changes in bank account practices, including unexplained withdrawals of large amounts by a person accompanying an elder
- Abrupt changes in a will or other legal or financial documents
- Unexplained disappearance of funds or other valuable resources or possessions
- Discovery of an elder's signature being forged for financial purposes or for the transfer of titles, etc.
- Unexplained sudden transfers of assets to a family member or someone outside the family
- How to Choose & Finance Care for Your Loved One -https://www.moneygeek.com/seniors/resources/choosing-and-financing-senior-care/
Older Adult Driver Guide - https://www.moneygeek.com/insurance/auto/resources/senior-driving-guide/
- Emergency Preparedness for Seniors - https://www.moneygeek.com/insurance/home/resources/emergency-prep/seniors/